Skip to main content

Self Worth….Can you “build” self-worth?

Self Worth….Can you “build” self-worth?

I was having a conversation the other day with a friend of mine about self-worth.  In our conversation, we talked about how “we”, mainly women (and of course we are speaking globally, and if this does not pertain to you at all, then you go girl!), but for us, let’s just say, for me and my friend, we put our WORTH (our value) based on what we wear, how we look in what we wear, who we are with, our careers, purses, cars, etc.  Then, when those things are taken from us or are not measuring up like we thought they should have, we feel like we do not have value.  Which we know is a flat out lie. 

Self-worth has been on my heart a lot lately because I have noticed many of my coaching clients say things like, “when I lose XXX pounds, I will love myself more.”  Many of these clients are women.  So, it prompted me to dig into the subject more.  Of course, all of us, not just women, but men too, struggle with self-worth

So, how do you build your own, internal value?  Or is the better question, how do you RECOGNIZE, that you are valuable?  If you recognize, daily, you are WORTH it, then do you develop the mindset over time that you are valuable? Legit questions to consider.  We are already BUILT with worth. It’s already there.  But, I think that we lose the confidence (due to life circumstances and choices) and begin to believe worth is outside of us.  The work, is in continually renewing your mind daily, meditating on what God has said about you daily, to REMIND you, that you ARE INDEED WORTH IT!  We do not need anything external to know we are valuable. 

I furthered this conversation with my mom and my sister, who dropped some deep knowledge.  Let us go to the bible.  The bible tells us that we are already made in God’s perfect image.  Quick disclaimer: I am NOT a bible scholar, so this is my own interpretation of the scripture, and what I personally get out of it.  Okay…let us carry on. For me, what this means, is that God has created me perfect already.  We will continue to grow, and evolve in life, but God says, I am worthy, right now, today, as I am.  Psalms 139:14 says, “I praise you because you made me in such a wonderful way.  I know amazing that was!”  We know God created us.  If we want to know more about that creation, and who He created us to become.  We must learn more about ourselves, and that information comes from our Creator! That requires us having a relationship with our Creator to learn more about who He is and who He created.  It’s a process.  It is a journey to learning who you are, loving who you are, and appreciated who you are.  Who preachin’ ova here!  

Let’s make this practical. Here are some action you can practice to help you learn about who you are, appreciate who you are, love who you are, and recognize the inner baddy inside of you!

  •       Journaling – I love to journal my thought.  Honestly, this is my way of praying.  I write my prayers.  Many times, I start my journaling process with a prayer like, “Dear God, Help me with XXXX.” Then, it transitions to, “What I know is that You have given me the strength.  I can do anything! I have power….”  Then I end up praising because I have affirmed that God has placed in me, what I need to press on.”  If I am ever in a funk, I write. 
  •       Meditating – The bible says to meditate on these things daily.  Literally, sit down, play some nice music, and recite out loud or quietly your favorite biblical affirmation for 5 minutes each day.
  •        Affirmations and positive self-talk – My favorite book of affirmations is by Alliyah Kamala.  Life is a Gift is full of reminders of worth! I read an affirmation each night so that I can go to sleep, after a long day, reminding myself, I am worth it!
  •        Get a “wing” woman or man! – Sometimes, you just need someone to remind you that you are a bad ass.  Surround yourself the positive people who will build you up, and remind you that you are already awesome!
  •        Remember, you are already worthy.  It’s there.  The BEST tip I have to offer is going to the Word.  The Bible.  Open it up.  Read it.  God reminds us over and over, I created you.  You have everything you need right inside of you.  Tap into it.  Learn about it.  Embrace who you are.  You are beautifully and wonderfully made.

I hope these tips help you first recognize that you are amazing.  Continue to momentum by practicing at least 1 of these actions daily, and see how it transforms your mind!

 

Follow Me!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/coachangieofficial/

Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf_BCa7E5dns2QeNykPIVSQ

Twitter – CoachAngieC - @angie_c

VIP Full Potential Fit Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/311759939499217


About this picture: This photo was taken in Ireland at the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge






4.        


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s Talk Deprivation!

You don’t have to deprive yourself to lose weight or to be healthy overall.  In fact, when you deprive yourself of something you ultimately want to enjoy from time to time, you build an intense desire to want whatever it is you are craving and increase the likelihood to overeat.  Creating the never-ending dieting cycle.  However, I do think there are foods we decide to eliminate from our daily nutrition because it does not align with the lives we want to live.  So, the question to consider is not having a cookie ever ever ever for the rest of your life a sustainable way you want to live. If so, then more power to you! If not, then this article is definitely for you! This doesn’t mean go crazy and eat whatever you want, but it’s about finding a place of balance with eating nutritiously and enjoying those fave comfort foods in your life while still moving towards your goal or maintaining an overall healthy life. Here are a few of my favorite healthy food swaps! This i...

Seek to understand!

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood.” ((**Anybody else wish they’d taken this to heart when they first got married?)) 😉 Seriously… this truth has totally shaped how I develop relationships!!  I am often blown away when someone seeks to understand me. Especially women that I allow in my life.  And conversely, I seek to understand where they come from, their opinions, their perspectives. I love learning and understanding people.  This is the key to building relationships. Shutting your mouth, listening and trying to understand. Getting curious. Genuinely caring.   My fit tribe knows me well.  Because they have put in the work to understand me!   #findyourtribe #walkthetalk #fitnesscommunity #fitfam #womenempowerment #stephencovey #seektounderstand #slowtospeak #activelistening #girlgang #strongertogether #nodrama #onlypositivevibes #thursday #birdsofafeather #community #mytribe #exploremypage #growtogether #lifteachother #igotyour...

It's been a while...Let's catch up! Trying out the vegetarian way of eating!

Okay.  It's now 2022.  I don't know if a lot has happened or not.  I'm a mom.  I just don't remember.  Anyway.  Right now, my family and I are in living in Dallas, Texas.  Lately, I've been doing a self-proclaimed Vegetarian Challenge for 21 days.  It was inspired by author, Tabitha Brown, who is a vegan, and her journey to becoming vegan.  For some reason, it just inspired me.  Now, the difference between vegetarian and vegan is animal products.  Most vegetarians will eat eggs, milk...dairy.  Vegans don't.  For many vegans, their decision to be vegan is not just health, but morals...like they believe that we should not kill animals.  They don't even wear certain clothes like wool and wear things like organic cotton.  Now why am I making the transition to vegetarianism?  Umm...well why not?  I decided to push myself and try it.  It's been about 14 days.  So far, I FEEL so much more energized a...