“As iron sharpens iron, so no one can sharpen another.” Proverbs 27:17
I am training for a fitness competition right now. I have always wanted to try competing. Well, I always envied those women who got on stage. And now, I feel ready to give it a go myself. When I first started training, I got my bodybuilding book. Joined all the bodybuilding Facebook groups. Started following all the competitors I envied on Instagram, and started looking at competitions on Youtube. And BOY was I lost in a sea of too much information. I decided to hire a coach. As a personal trainer, I have never ever worked with another trainer before. I have never had someone develop workouts for me, or tell me what to eat. It has always been the other way around.
At the beginning of our relationship, I went in with the mindset of asking for her advice, but I already had my mind made up of what I was going to do. After a few weeks of her me letting me do me, I told her I was not seeing progress. And she finally said in so many words, "are you ready to listen to me now?" In this "come to Jesus," conversation, I shared that I was ready to back down and release control. She shared, she has never have worked with a person that has the knowledge that I have. So, we are sharpening each other.
If you have a goal, and you feel like you can do bad all by yourself, then, you might just be hindering your own progress. For me, I want to rise higher. So, that means, I need to be around others who have been where I am trying to go and open up my heart and mind to listen to them.
Look, I get it. I thought I could do it all on my own. I got some progress, but my way was not getting me the results I needed. Sometimes you just have to humble yourself. Actually, I am learning to humble myself each and every day. The bible says, "As iron sharpens iron..." We are to work with each other. Collaborate with each other. Learn from each other. Help each other build.
Don't be ashamed to ask for help. Don't overthink asking for help. As they say, closed mouths don't get fed.
In what ways, do you think "going it alone," hinders you from you own personal growth?
In the pic - My son Braden. I really didn't understand the whole concept of "momma's boy." Now I do :)
Comments
Post a Comment