Are you working on a goal that's important to you? When you share it with others, does it feel like they don't get it? Or, have you in the past, had an area in your life you wanted to improve, and someone told you it would be a good idea to improve it, then you started to have success in that area, and they started to "hate" on you? What I mean by hate is that someone starts to speak negatively towards what you are working on. For example, "You think you are better than everyone else," kind of attitude. Following me?
This "hate" is very common when it comes to any goal you are working on. Especially in weight loss, or even starting a business. When you don't get the support your need, it can be very discouraging to move forward. I think as humans, we want to please others. We want people to like us. We want to feel included. We want to belong. Brene Brown has a lot to say about "belonging." A big part of a healthy journey, is finding your peeps, which might be very different than the current circle you are in. I think finding your community can feel intimidating. It's like going to a new school, and trying to find someone to connect with that gets you versus you trying to fit in to what is trendy or popular. Sometimes you're alone. There is power in finding your community. However, it starts and begins with knowing who you are. And, remembering your "why." Why is this so important for you to accomplish?
Oftentimes, in the healthy journey, people battle with themselves. They get frustrated with the process. A big barrier to that process is themselves. It's a constant fight. Eventually who you are deep inside becomes stronger and take hold of the old habits and mindsets that have gotten in the way.
This isn't even what I wanted to talk about in this blog. I sort of got off on a tangent. When I was younger, I was made fun of. I was oinked at. Not by everyone. Actually, there was a very specific person who did this. These days, they would be called a bully. Mostly, I ignored this person because they did other very annoying things like fart in class. I grew up bigger than most kids. Wasn't able to do most activities like run a mile. I was pretty aware of my weight. I even had a PE teacher who punished me when I didn't finish the mile in 15 minutes and made me do bleachers. To myself I remember thinking, "How is this encouraging me to do better?"
Now that I have lost weight, and kept it off over 20 years, I still get little snide remarks, but now pertaining to my habits. Here are some comments, "I know you are on a perpetual diet," "How much weight are you going to lose," or, "I know that your are a health freak" It bothers me, but many comments come from reflecting their own insecurities. Sometimes, I smile and ignore the comments. Sometimes, I kindly educate them on my lifestyle.
So, my point is, there will always be comments. Especially, these days, folks have a lot to say about everything. And, most of it is not very thoughtful or thought out. However, you can be a positive example and light. It's all in how you respond to situations. Don't put your head down. Don't feel bad about your lifestyle choices. Be diligent in finding your community who will cheer you on. Even if it's 1 person who gets you. Keep your head up, stick your chest out, smile, stay focused. My friend...you GOT this!
Do you need help and support on your journey?
I can help. I want to help.
Reach out to me at fullpotentialfitclub81@gmail.com
I like working with women who have lost their way in their own health and want to create long-term sustainable habits through small changes.

Comments
Post a Comment